The Waking of Willowby Hall is a dense, highly interactive RPG adventure set in a ruined manor beset by a rampaging giant, roving bands of restless dead, and a very angry goose.
- Suitable for PCs of approximately 3rd level.
- Features a highly interactive environment that rewards clever play.
- Perfect for one-shots or for dropping into an existing campaign.
- Contains "One Page Dungeon" maps that allow the DM to run much of the adventure at a glance.
- Uses bullet points and control-panel layout for maximum ease of use.
- Statted for Knave, but easily useable with any old-school fantasy RPG.
- Writing, layout, and cartography by two-time ENnie Award winner Ben Milton, author of Maze Rats, Knave, and Jim Henson's Labyrinth: The Adventure Game.
- Lavishly illustrated by Sam Mameli.
- Two versions of the adventure, one with two-page spreads and one without.
- The full wraparound cover image
- Blank, unkeyed maps for use with virtual tabletops
The manor of Willowby Hall is under siege by a giant, enraged at the theft of his magical goose. The band of thieves has taken shelter within the manor's crumbling walls, cowering with their ill-gotten poultry as the building shakes itself apart. But something else is stirring. The giant's rampage is slowly awakening a Death Knight from its black slumber, and once it rises it will call on the bones of the manor's old residents to drive out the intruders.
Will the party loot the manor of its ancient relics, or succumb to the blades of its skeletal guardians? Who will make off with the goose and its golden eggs? Will anyone survive the giant's onslaught? The only way to find out...is to play.
5 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This is a lovely, "old school" whimsically flavored adventure module. There is no added fluff at all within the writing. Stat blocks are kept to a minimum, and NPC motivations are simple. Almost every page recreates the map of the room associated with the text as well as large maps of the entire area on front and back covers. (NPC's are given their own pages...) Lots to explore for PC's; easy and hard challenges with no hidden solutions to irritate players. Time is the crucial factor in running the adventure, and the author has made timing of events within the story easy to create for GM's. Fun adventure, easy to adapt for most campaigns and would be a fantastic one shot! Buy it!
This one deserves the great reputation that it is quickly garnering. The art is charming and the layout is done in a way that makes it table ready. It was refreshing to be able to run a game without having to read through the book 3 times with a notebook and pen beforehand. My players had a blast!
Great layout, easy to reference, cool illustrations and cartography .
Ben knows how he likes his adventures laid out, and he doesn't miss a trick in this little gem. Not an inch of wasted space, no needless flipping pages back and forth, what you need right where you need it. It's a sandbox, but more of toybox, with lots of things for players to fiddle with and even more ways for them to interact with players and each other. I can't imagine this adventure running the same way twice. This is a great module. The price point may be just a bit high, but I don't regret a cent of it.
Will be using this. Very creative piece of work. Lots of chances for players to get caught in fun and difficult situations that'll force them to think creatively. The layout is clear. Writing is evocative and gameable. Just great stuff.